Welcome to the International Bar Association (IBA) Financial Support Program, a distinctive initiative aimed at providing financial assistance to talented law students from low-income and lower-middle-income countries. Here’s a comprehensive guide to what the financial support covers, eligibility criteria, required application documents, contribution amounts, and the application and reimbursement procedures.
Financial Support Coverage
The IBA Financial Support Program seeks to alleviate the financial challenges faced by participating teams. The program contributes to the budget of selected teams in order to complete their funds for the Competition. Teams may allocate the funds as they wish.
To be eligible for the IBA Financial Support Program, teams must meet the following criteria:
- Country of Origin: The team must represent a low-income or lower-middle-income country as defined by the World Bank List of Economies.
- Previous IBA Financial Support: The university should not have received financial support from the IBA in the past.
- Gender Inclusivity: The team must include at least one female speaker, promoting diversity in participation.
- Timely Submission of Memorials: Teams must have submitted their memorials within the stipulated timeframe.
- Registration Fee: The team must have paid the registration fee before applying for financial support.
As part of the application process, teams are required to submit the following documents:
- Short Motivation Letter: A one-page letter outlining the team’s desire to participate, the anticipated impact on their future development, and how they plan to promote competition principles to their university peers. Evidence of related activities may be required.
- Financial Situation Explanation: A one-page document describing the team’s financial situation. This should include an economic overview of the country, the financial status of the university, purchasing power of the national currency, and any alternative funding explored.
- Budget: A detailed breakdown of how all costs related to competition participation will be covered. This should indicate how IBA financial contributions will be utilized.
- Letter of Commitment: A letter signed by the Dean or Head of Department, affirming the university’s full support for the team’s participation in the competition.
The IBA is proud to offer the following financial contributions to team budgets:
- Financial Contribution 1: 2.500 EUR
- Financial Contribution 2: 2.500 EUR
- Financial Contribution 3: 1.500 EUR
- Financial Contribution 4: 1.500 EUR
- Financial Contribution 5: 1.500 EUR
- Make sure you have all required documents readily available.
- Submit the application form before the deadline of 20 March 2024.
- Funding applications are only accepted between 20 February and 20 March 2024.
- Teams will be informed whether they have been selected for a contribution on 1 April 2024.
- Together with the funding allocation, teams will receive a letter of commitment from the Organizing Office that the funds will be paid.
- Teams will receive the funds allocated to them once they submit their flight tickets (for the speakers) to The Hague, the visas to enter the Netherlands, and their accommodation reservation.
- The funds will be transferred to the selected teams via bank transfer only.